2.26.2007

She walks like John Wayne

I have discovered something. My kid walks like John Wayne.

This morning she looked at me from the doorway of my office. She smiled and began to come toward me. And then she started this swagger, this rolling gait that made her head move from side to side. The coy, flirtatious look on her face really was the clincher though.


"Low dat" is not quite "howdy" but I get the idea.


The part that gets me is that she's never watched a John Wayne movie in her life. What is it that creates this persona? Nana calls it her drunk walk. And though this is a possible culprit in John's case, Luci is a bit young. She can open the cabinet, she can lift the bottle, but I don't think she can unscrew the cap yet.

Is there a loaded diaper involved? A case of vertigo? Too many blows to the head? Perhaps she has decided that this is the consumate way to win me over with her charisma. Or maybe, like spinning in circles it just feels funny.

Nana and Grandpa have also given her an oversized stuffed horse and a pink straw hat. I am beginning to wonder if they don't have a secret agenda.

No comments: