10.21.2007

Today I am Rocky!

Imagine me at the top of the stairs, dancing, throwing punches. Arms over my head yelling victoriously. Why? Because today my lungs and I went head to head, and for a change I won!

My lungs and I fight a lot. Especially when I’m running. They are a spirited and stubborn pair. Given the importance of breathing to that whole consciousness and physical well-being thing, they usually win. (Asthma attacks suck in case no one ever mentioned it.)

My asthma usually cuts in about the time my legs find their rhythm. In fact, it’s a rare occurrence when my legs are sore after a run. My lungs won’t let me go at a fast enough pace or for long enough to really get a burn going.

But not today!!

It’s been a long time since I could run two miles without stopping to walk or take a breath for a second. I don’t usually have to stop for very long, but I do have to stop and walk for a bit. For a lot of people running two miles is no big deal. I understand this. I know I haven’t done anything that impressive. But given the sad state of my lungs lately (and it’s been pretty sad), I am giddy beyond belief. We’ll forget the cough and minor wheeze that tells me my poor lungs are inflamed as hell. I just ran two miles without stopping dammit!!!

It was a good day. Tomorrow marks exactly one month before race day.

3 comments:

Carol said...

Congrats! As an asthma sufferer, I totally relate! (Unfortunately, I can't relate to the running part... sigh!)

Carol

Tracy said...

HOO-RAY!

Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

that is great! cheering you on for the NaBloPoMo and the big race :)

happy monday sweets.