9.17.2007

Running to Stand Still

A 5-mile hike through mountains (I'm thinking of a couple different ones I've done this summer in the Sierras and one in Yellowstone):
I can do this without a problem. OK, I'm tired the next day. But that's about it.

Today it was all I could do to run a half-mile without stopping. Allergies, asthma, something is kicking my butt.

I admit that I haven't run very regularly this summer. Periodically, but nothing consistent. Maybe that's it. Then I think, no, I've done softball. Luci, Scout and I have gone walking or hiking about every other day all summer with only a few exceptions. Maybe I just suck at running. This is incredibly likely.

In my younger days, I hated running. As hard as I tried in high school P.E. classes I could never run a mile in less than 9:30 - and even that was pushing it. I didn't start to like running until I was in college and had joined Hapkido. I would run in the evenings and let out every ounce of excess energy and stress I had built up during the day. It was wonderful. Especially during the spring and summer when the jasmine was in bloom.

I bring this up because I've decided to run a 5K (3 miles). I've been wanting to do this for awhile. I'm not sure why. Perhaps my college roomate, who's now a nationally-ranked triathlete, inspired me. I've never felt like an athlete. It wasn't until martial arts that I even considered myself an active, quasi-athletic person. And maybe it's the absence of regular martial training that's driving me. I'm not sure.

I want to do it to prove to myself that I can. That's all.

Obviously I'm starting off small, but that's OK with me. But since the one I'm looking at is in Sacramento I figure I have the advantage of training at altitude, right?

All I know is that after today I have a lot of work to do. Ouch, my lungs hurt already.

No comments: