10.04.2007

AGGIES: Another overdue update

In September the UC Davis Aggies (Mike and my alma mater) had the first game in their brand new stadium. Not necessarily noteworthy unless you are a huge Aggie fan, which ironically we're kinda not.

But, I should mention that Mike's college roomate Troy was a starting offensive lineman all four years he attended Davis. So when he called and said he and his wife and baby son were going to the game, of course we had to go.


Synopsis: It was HOT (103 F)! We doused Lu (and ourselves) with water until we just couldn't take it anymore. We found shade as best we could (see Troy's baby J below), but you'd think in a place like Davis, where weather over 100 is the norm for a month and a half during the late summer, they would provide some sort of shade - just a little. But no. Top it off with the fact that we lost the game. Uggggh!

So after halftime (can't miss the Band-uh!) we headed to Woodstocks, ate pizza and caught up with Mike's other college roommate Benson. It was good to be back and see everyone. It's odd, and we've talked about this for years. I miss Davis, but I don't. Mike misses the good times he had there. We both miss biking everywhere with such ease. We both miss Hapkido a lot. I miss the smell of jasmine everywhere and the downtown center. But sometimes you're never sure if what you miss is the place or the memories associated with the place. (The fun question to explore is whether or not you can separate the two. Place is a funny thing - it's so much more than just a location on a map.)









We, of course, had to get Luci an Aggies T-shirt, which I am proud to say she now asks for by name. She gets into her dresser drawer and looks at me saying "Adgg-ie, Adgg-ie." Who says stuff like this doesn't run in the family?


2 comments:

Irongirl said...

You were in Davis and didn't call me?!
Next time you better! :)
I think we are going to try to go to the causeway classic this year. It's in Sac, but I haven't been to a game in ages!

Carol said...

103 in October?! Well, you won't find THAT in Seattle (thank goodness!).

Tom and I are UCSB alum. I DO miss Santa Barbara!

Adorable photos!

Carol