11.03.2007

Seven Things I Like about the ICU

1. The food is significantly better than it is in the rest of the hospital. It even smells appetizing.

2. The nurses know me by name. They've talked to me about his meds, his disposition, his appetite. And I've learned enough at this point that they often ask me what's been going on if they can't get a hold of the doctor.

3. It's easy to get the help you need. My Papa has charmed so many of them that if we need anything, from a pudding cup to a crash cart, someone is there before I even have a chance to think about waiting. It also helps that each nurse has only two patients and there are a couple extra nurses whose only job is fill in where an extra hand is needed.

4. The room is really big. I suppose it has to be since when things go south they often need about 8 nurses and doctors in there to get his heart rate straightened out. But when things are going well, man is it spacious and comfy. Big window, and even your own tiny toilet.

5. The nursing staff is really considerate. Given the amount of stress and crisis in that small area, everyone is really aware of not treating these very serious patients like pieces of meat. No one ever forgets to give Papa his privacy. Each nurse who has to put in a new I.V. (and with all the blood thinners this happens pretty frequently) is really careful to not cause him any more pain than absolutely necessary, and actively expresses their desire not to make him into a pincushion.

6. Considering what's typically going on in the ICU, it's fairly quiet. You can see people moving around but the rooms themselves are fairly insulated from it all, which is a real blessing at times. One room and one failing family member is enough at times.

7. Being with my Papa and doing what I can to make him more comfortable and help him feel better.

1 comment:

Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

big hugs my sweet- I hope Papa is doing okay.
Call me if you guys need anything okay?
serious.

xoxox