11.23.2007

Goal: Run a 5K Before the end of the year, Status: DID IT!

What do you get when you mix 22,000 people at 9 a.m. in 40-ish degree weather? My first instinct would be some sort of stadium-based game. Or perhaps angry post-Thankgiving shoppers who were locked out of their favorite store by a mischevious employee? Either way, I expect people to be frustrated, pissy, and pushing each other. The last thing I expected was laughter, smiles, and sincere apologies when I got bumped. I can see now the true power and positive energy that can happen when thousands upon thousands of people come together for fun and a good cause.



The Sacramento Food Bank was able to raise roughly $600,000 for the charitable work they do in the greater Sacramento area. And being a part of that felt so incredibly good that I hardly thought about the mile markers until I saw the finish line just ahead of me. I can't remember ever being in a crowd that moved with such fluidity and grace for such a long distance. The Food Bank even arranged for live bands to play along the route to keep everyone's spirits up.


All I could think during the race as I saw other families and individuals running beside me was how much I would love to be a part of something like this every year, regardless of where we live.


Of course with everything there are good and bad details that come with the expereince. Here's a few:


Bad
--The traffic!! OMG 22,000 people, even carpooling, make for one hell of a traffic jam!

--Halfway into this traffic jam I remembered that I forgot my inhaler at the house (yes, I am blonde sometimes)

--Due to the previous two things I got there late and had to start with the walkers instead of the runners. Crowded!! Much zigzagging in order to actually run for the first bit.

--Being so pressed for time that I forgot to arrange a meeting place to find Mike and Papa after the race. Note to future participants (me included): without a prearranged meeting spot it takes roughly 1 hour 15 minutes to find your peeps in a crowd that large.


Good
--The people!!! People were so nice and so helpful, especially when I couldn't find Mike and Papa. I hate, and I mean HATE, people who ask to borrow your cell phone. But after an hour I got so worried that I had to do something. In asking directions at one point, a woman who learned the situation offered her cell phone of her own accord.

--The running felt so good and I felt so strong. I was trying to be careful and not let that little competative bug drive me to run faster than I was capable and exhaust myself too soon. But I still ran at a pretty good clip. By the end I felt like I could still go for another mile at least.

--Knowing that, in spite of all the chaos of the last month, I was still able to meet my goal.

--Having my Papa and my hubbie there to cheer me on at the end (granted they weren't sure which blonde in black pants and an event t-shirt was me, but they were cheering regardless) :)

--And, of course, eating Thanksgiving dinner and not worrying that I would gain any weight from it!


And, if anyone is interested, here's the link to the Sac Bee story about the event itself:
http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/512203.html

No comments: