6.06.2007

Pure Bliss is . . .

going backpacking for the first time in three years

catching a fish and cooking it over a campfire


waking up, and glancing over the tops of pine trees to see a waterfall, lake, and sunrise-pink mountains covered with spots of snow

eating gorp for breakfast


feeling my leg muscles burn while my eyes marvel at the Sierra landscape







In case it's not obvious by now, I've missed backpacking. This last weekend Mike and I were able to get away for the weekend (thanks again N & P). We headed south along the eastern escarpment of the Sierra and parked at the Green Creek Trailhead south of Bridgeport. From there we headed into the Hoover Wilderness, which is located at the northeast edge of Yosemite National Park. The trail is fairly moderate, nothing epic, but is it ever gorgeous this time of year.


Due to my clumsiness, I tend to look at the ground a lot - I argue it's why I'm better at flowers than birds. The wildflowers were just getting started, but to name a few: columbine, lupine, asters, buckwheat & pussypaws, snowberry, serviceberry, wild iris, phlox, mules ears, and corn lilies. Mike is the bird man, of course. And thanks to him I also got to see a red-breasted sapsucker for the first time.


Mike is apparently on his way to becoming a fish man as well. He caught a nine-inch brook trout at Green Lake, where we camped the first night at the base of Gabbro Peak (second pic). It had the most beautiful translucent red fins! So of course I insisted we take pictures . . . before we roasted it over an open flame and ate it for dinner :)


The next morning we hiked up to East Lake. This lake is clear, cold, windy, and just fantastic. The campsites aren't as good but the spectacular view of Gabbro, Page, and Epidote Peaks on the west side of the lake was well worth the hike (Epidote is the third pic above).


The best part was remembering how good it feels to sleep outside, and to be up near tree line where I breathe easier and can't stop smiling (One of these days I'll figure out how to describe that feeling in a unique way and without sounding so romantic/cheesy.) Part of me might wonder if it's just the chance to have a break from motherhood, but I've always felt like this. And I've been in love with this stretch of the Sierras since Mike and I spent the summer of 2002 in Lone Pine while he surveyed snowy plovers at Owens Lake. Even when I was pregnant I craved the smell of dry granite and pine so badly I dreamed about it.


And then we drove home and went out for sushi. I'm telling you . . . pure bliss.



P.S. This one's for you M. babe. Maybe we should start a chain? Open one in Reno and spell it the right way. R. can be the nightly entertainment and T. can bartend. Whatcha think? :)


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure Crystal, talk about taking a picture of a fish and don't even share it. (I am wondering if it was imaginary :)).

The Giant said...

Can't you see it on the stick? :)
I'll post a pic just for you then

Micaela said...

Oh, that is so awesome! I love it, love it, love it! And I think R. & T. are both in like Flynn.